The Local Area
Situated within the heart of the Garden of England with many attractions, historic sites, entertainment and a bracing climate.
Local Area, History & Things To Do!
The Kent Downs is an area of outstanding natural beauty in Kent which are the eastern half of the North Downs stretching from the London/Surrey borders to the White Cliffs of Dover. It is renowned for its natural beauty.
Blue Bell Hill is a chalk hill between Maidstone and Rochester overlooking the River Medway that is part of
the North Downs. The settlements on the hill include Walderslade and Kit’s Coty villages.
About West Malling
West Malling is a historic market town formerly known as “Town Malling,” that is only 35 miles away from central London.
St Mary’s Abbey was founded in 1090 on Swan Street and is still to this day occupied by Anglican Benedictine nuns. The true scene of a painting by artist JMW Turner was recently discovered as being that of St Mary’s Abbey.
The High Street is lined on both sides with some fine Tudor, Jacobean and Georgian houses such as, Ford House and Prior House located on King Street.
In & Around West Malling Town
The town has specialist shops and several bars and restaurants on its High Street. The Swan, originally an 18th century Coaching Inn stands on Swan Street. Just outside the village is Manor Country Park and opposite is Douce’s Manor, a developed 18th century manor house.
The Beatles were once owners of Douce’s Manor and in 1967, The Beatles’ Magical Mystery Tour was filmed around West Malling.
A number of airshows used to take place at West Malling Airfield until it was sold and developed into the ‘designer’ business park and housing estate in Kings Hill.
Things to do in West Malling
Cafes and Coffee Shops
- The Hungry Guest
- The Abbey Tea Rooms
- Costa Coffee
- The Old Mill Tea Rooms
- Bean Rush
- Jungle Cafe
Health and Fitness
- Infinity Fitness 24-hour gym
- CrossFit Cantii – World Class Fitness with Cross Fit
- David Lloyd Leisure – swimming, sauna, steam rooms and gym
- Moor and Mountain – outdoor clothing store
- Soles with Hearts – shoe shop
- The Babyden – baby clothing
- Shutup Shutters – blind shop
- Fragolina Shop – women’s clothing
- Post Office
- Monks Clothing – men’s clothing
- Bling Design – specialist clothing
- Eves of West Malling – women’s clothing shop
- Vintro – china and glassware
- Tiny Angels Clothing – children’s clothing
- Smith & Webb Cookshop – kitchen supply store
- Adpine Antiques Shop
- Old Clock Shop
- Tesco Metro
- Little Waitrose / Kings Hill
- Spar petrol garage
- Asda Kings Hill superstore (1.1 miles)
- Tesco Extra Superstore (4.3 miles – 24 hours)
- West Malling Village Green Memorial Park (1.5 miles)
- The Hop Farm Paddock Wood – children’s rides, a village full of animals and drive thru 4D cinema, cafe and a shop (3.9 miles)
- Hemsley Conservation Centre Sevenoaks Zoo (5.3 miles)
- National Trust Ightham Mote – tourist attraction (5.2 miles)
- Kent Life – Farming history, tractors, play areas, activities and cafe (5.7 miles)
- Trosley Country Park (5.1 miles)
- The Historic Dockyard Chatham (11.4 miles)
- Quadbiking Org UK (1.9 miles)
- Leeds Castle (10.4 miles)